Mobility parking permit holders can use mobility parking spaces, which are wider than standard parks and closer to venues. These spaces are marked with the disability symbol and in many areas are now painted blue
The permit also allows the permit holder to park in some regular parking spaces for longer than the designated time. This varies depending on where in New Zealand the permit holder lives
CCS Disability Action administers the Mobility Parking Permit Scheme but the provision and enforcement of car parks is the responsibility of local councils and private parking providers.
- You are unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair, or
- Your ability to walk distances is severely restricted by a medical condition or disability. If for example, you require the use of mobility aids, experience severe pain, or breathlessness.
- You have a medical condition or disability that requires you to have physical contact or close supervision to safely get around and cannot be left unattended. For example, if you experience disorientation, confusion, or severe anxiety.
Your doctor needs to confirm your eligibility, unless you are renewing a long-term permit.
Obtaining a Permit
All applications have to be certified by a doctor. Contact your doctor or your local CCS Disability Action or
Download an application form and information sheet (PDF 811 kB)
- Short-term permits, valid for up to 12 months: $35.00 incl GST
- Long-term permits, valid for five-years: $50.00 incl GST
Prices are subject to change.
Lost or theft of a Mobility Parking Permit
If your permit has been lost or stolen or you no longer require the permit please notify the nearest CCS Disability Action office as soon as possible on 0800 227 2255.
New Zealand issued mobility permits may not be accepted in other countries.Before leaving New Zealand, you should establish if your permit is accepted in the country you are visiting.
Overseas Visitors to New Zealand
We recommend that people visiting New Zealand obtain a short-term mobility parking permit, as permits from other countries are not recognised in all regions.
The cost of the permit is NZ$35 and is valid for up to 12 months.
To apply for a CCS Mobility Parking Permit prior to your arrival in New Zealand you can:
• Email - download an application form for Overseas Visitors and email it with a scanned copy of your existing permit to CCS Disability Action